Friday, February 13, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

Now hold on! Don't gag just yet. Yes, its Valentine's Day, a time to get all sweet and dopey over your sweetheart. Ahhh love! We come into it with the craziest of ideas, don't we? "End of our troubles...life will be bliss...heart shaped clouds and raindrop kisses." Well, I've been thinking about what REAL love is, and these are the things I have recognized as evidence of love.

1. When Paul does the dishes after each dinner to show appreciation for the meal.
2. For letting me be when I wake up cranky in the middle of the night for one reason
or another...sometimes I can't sleep.
3. Finding my phone for me when its lost...almost daily.
4. Showering in the other bathroom so he doesn't wake me up when he goes to bed late.
5. When he made sure he bought a car that had comfortable seats for my picky back.
6. For wanting me to go out and buy stuff that he knows makes me happy.
7. He acknowledges and feels happy when I accomplish something.
8. He invites me to go to the junk yard and Home Depot with him...and I go.
9. He gets excited to show me new trailers of movies he wants to see.
10. Half the time, I go to bed before he does and he stops whatever he's doing to
have prayer with me before I go to sleep.

O.k, so its not your typical top ten romantic gestures list. That's the whole point. I think its so easy to overlook the common or even hidden signs of love in every day. A box of chocolates is nice, but that of course will disappear fast, while the good feelings of knowing that someone considered your feelings in a decision or thought enough of you to ask you to "look at this engine part!", will be what lasts.

No comments: