Thursday, June 5, 2008

Deutsch ist kühl

When my family moved from Germany back to the US, I always had a desire to go back and see the places I remembered as little boy. A couple of years I got that chance... and now I'm ready to go back again. There is something about that country that makes me feel at home. Of course it could be because five years of my childhood experiences were created there, but I'd like to think that there might be a different reason. Maybe an inexplicable connection to my ancestors, even though they came from Switzerland. Hmm, it seems I'm trying to create a false sense of reasoning in myself. I wouldn't be surprised, I do find my self consuming candy at an enormous frenzied hyper-gorging rate of speed... sometimes.

Back to Germany. Since I've been back I've wanted to learn German so I could obviously communicate with the locals. Maybe even more than that, so I can do genealogy research on my family's past, specifically following the line of my last name. Sure, members of my extended family have done tons of research but it seems that genealogy reaches a point where you have to do some digging. This digging is going to have to happen in Europe.

I purchased some German language cd's about a year ago and started listening to them a lot. A couple months passed and I had eventually forgotten that the cd's existed at all. Yeah, I'm good, huh?! So that brings me to now, where I had stumbled onto the cd's and have again, begun my immersion into the German language. If all goes well I'll be able to carry a conversation in German before we go back in... 3 years?

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Do you have sauerkraut in your lederhosen?

The Reverend said...

Was ist das? LederHosen ist schwül!!

Wie geht's?

Rauss!! Zu der junkyard gehen, macht schnell!