Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tamales Anyone?







O.k. So I had a little reality check the other night. Paul and I were joyful to be done with our grocery shopping at Wal-mart, and were weeling our cart load out to the car. Just as we got done unloading a Latino woman comes over smiling, and says, "Hola, Como est as!" I, still on my high from finally being able to leave the store, smiled and said, "Hello, we're doing great tonight!". Then she asked if I would like to buy some tamales. I said, "No thanks", as I handed her my shopping cart. She asked if I was sure, and I assured her I didn't need any as she walked away with my cart. In the 3 seconds it took me to walk back to our car, my mind made an embarasing realization. "Oh my gosh! She doesn't even work here! AND SHE TOOK IT! After I told her I didn't want to buy her stuff! Wow." Paul had fun taunting me the whole way home. In his "goofy" voice, he said over and over, "Hey! Would you like to buy some tameales? No, but you can have my shopping cart!" I don't even know if I like tameales, and I have no idea where my brain was when I did that, but it certainly made me wonder what she must have been thinking. I'm actually kind of in awe of the woman for what she did. It tends to make me want to rethink my ideas of other people, to try to have a softer outlook toward them. I guess I say that because when I see all the things that people in this world are capable of, I tend to let the bad things make me feel defensive. I guess I just need to chill out and maybe try some tamales!....and remember the good things that people are capable of!

6 comments:

tracycharmed said...

That is too funny! It seems like that always happens to us @ Target. Glad to hear your points of view.

Brian (Gus) and Kathy (Kat) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian (Gus) and Kathy (Kat) said...

As I was reading your blog, I asked myself,"Why is she handing her the shopping cart? Does the tamale lady work at Walmart, or does did she need a cart for all the tamales?" Needless to say, I laughed out loud at your experience.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Maybe to make up for it (and to make Paul stop making fun of you) you could offer to take someone's cart next time you go to Walmart :) Ya know, pay it forward ...

Jared and Laura said...

That's a funny story...tamales really aren't so bad. Although I'd still be hesitant to buy them from some random person in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart.