Thursday, December 11, 2008

Oh Christmas tree!


One thing I look forward to every year is snuggling up with a blanket and hot cocoa and just staring, mesmerized by my Christmas tree. I look at it like a family member who's looking back at me, reflecting all the years and memories of my life. To the casual Christmas tree putter-upper, this may sound sappy and weird, but in truth, my Christmas tree reminds me of my mom, and I feel close to her when I gaze at it. Ever since I was born, my mom got me a special ornament every Christmas. My most prized bulb is this one from Santa's Workshop at "North Pole" Alaska, from the year that I was born. We also made home-made ornaments together when I was a kid. I remember watching her hand stitch each sequin on the little girl ornament pictured here. When I turned 20 years old and had my own apartment, she sent them all to me. She still continues to get me a special ornament every year. I have added a few of my own, particularly ones that have special meaning. One that stands out is when my ferret, Ricky, who was my pride and joy for 5 years died, and Paul had his little paw prints imprinted on a yellow star, and made it into a keepsake ornament for me.

When I look at my Christmas tree, the ornaments make me think of all the wonderful things that have come in to my life, and I sink into sweet memories that I wish I could stay lost in just a little longer.

2 comments:

Tom and Brandie said...

Very good read. That was very enjoyable.

Joyce said...

This was a very touching entry. It brought tears to my eyes. I hope you both know how very loved and special you are to me. I am so very proud to be your mom. I also loved the Jib Jab entry. I laughed so hard. Rocko is quite the dancer......:-) You never fail to amaze me with your videos and blog enteries.