Sunday, June 22, 2008

Our babies have hatched!


Ok, so three weeks ago I was at Home Depot getting plants for the yard, and I see a sign that says "Praying mantises are here!" So I asked the cashier about it and she presented me with a cocoon pod looking thing in a purple net, and said each pod has about 200 mantises in it. They're good for gardens because they eat bugs you don't want. So we hung the net in our tree and today we were just so lucky so see them just as they all hatched. I'm not typically a bug person, but these things are cool. Even though they're only maybe a 1/4 inch long, you can see them turning their little triangle heads, looking at you as if to say, "What are you looking at?"

1 comment:

Sorensens said...

I had no idea that home depot sells bugs, that is really interesting. Thanks for the info.